All plumbing systems develop clogs at some point in time regardless of the efforts we make to avoid clogging. That’s why drain cleaning is one of the most frequent plumbing needs for any family. Cleaning a drain may appear to be easy. However, undertaking a drain cleaning venture without proper knowledge can be dangerous. In this post, we will discuss easy plumbing tips that will help you with emergency drain cleaning requirements before the plumber arrives. Apply these simple steps to clean your floor, bathroom, and sink drains without any hassle whatsoever.
1. Plunger is the most commonly used plumbing tool for everyday application. Most of the clogged drains can be fixed at home using this inexpensive tool. Therefore, before calling a plumber, you can always try to clear your clogged drain with a plunger.
2. Preventing your drain from clogging is certainly a better idea than taking corrective measures after you have a clogged drain. Concentrated saltwater or brine solution is an excellent home remedy to prevent clogging of sink drains. Oil and grease can build up very quickly on the inner surface of your kitchen drain. The use of brine solution will prevent the buildup of grease. In addition to clogging prevention, this will also help you reduce odor.
3. In spite of taking preventive measures, your drains may still get clogged. A mixture of vinegar and baking soda can do wonders for your clogged drain. This is a great solution to clogged drains for people who do not want to use harsh chemicals. Both vinegar, as well as baking soda, are inexpensive, and they can unclog any clogged drain in minutes. First, put half a cup of baking soda in your drain followed by the same amount of vinegar. Then pour some boiling water into the drain. In the presence of hot water, these two substances react with each other to remove the blockage from your drain. Most importantly, they cause no harm to your pipes.
4. Different types of drain cleaners are also available in the market, and many of them are highly efficient. However, before using these chemical-based cleaners, be sure to read all instructions thoroughly. Certain types of drain cleaners may not be suitable for cleaning garbage disposals or plastic pipes installed in your kitchen. Also, do not forget that almost all chemical-based cleaners can cause damage to your plumbing system in the long run.
5. If everything discussed so far has failed, visit your local plumbing store and rent or buy a mechanical snake. Clogs from the main drain of your house to the sewer can be cleaned out by using a garden hose along with the mechanical snake.
6. Finally, call an experienced plumber immediately if you are still not able to unclog your drain.